Cinderella Licenses In Massachusetts: The Basics

For many people, their first concern after being arrested on OUI/DUI charges is whether or not they will lose their license. After all, many people rely on their license for work ― meaning without it, they are unable to earn a living.

Fortunately, even if your license is revoked following an OUI/DUI conviction in Massachusetts, you may still be able to seek a Cinderella license from the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). Specifically, a Cinderella license ― also known as a hardship license ― allows you to legally drive during your suspension period as long as you can prove a legitimate hardship such as a hardship associated with work, school or medical treatments.

However, a Cinderella license does have many restrictions; for instance, you typically can only drive during a 12-hour window each day, not to mention you may have to wait for some time before you are eligible for such a license.

How Long Do I Have To Wait To Get A Hardship License?

Even though many first-time offenders are able to seek hardship licenses relatively quickly ― particularly if they resolve their cases through alternative disposition ― those with multiple OUI/DUI offenses on their records may need to wait for a significant amount of time.

For example, if you lose your license for two years following a second OUI/DUI, one year must pass before you can apply for a hardship license, and even then, you must install an ignition interlock device (IID) on your car.

What Do I Need To Show?

While the requirements may vary depending on your situation, you commonly need to provide specific documentation in order to get a hardship license, including:

  • Proof of a legitimate hardship such as a letter from your employer (which cannot be more than 30 days old) or documentation showing another hardship (i.e. medical appointments or education-related hardships)
  • Proof that public transportation will not meet your needs such as maps outlining your work/school/hospital locations and bus/transit routes
  • Proof of compliance/completion of probation and/or alcohol treatment programs, if appropriate

However, it is important to remember that just because you provide this information it does not guarantee the RMV will grant your license request. This is why it is best to always contact an experienced lawyer.

Contact Burke Levy, P.C., For Help 24/7

The last thing you want to do is try to obtain a hardship license by yourself and learn too late that you do not have the proper documentation. If you have questions about hardship licenses, or drunk driving charges in general, contact Burke Levy, P.C., today to schedule a consultation with a skilled OUI/DUI defense attorney. With more than 30 years of combined legal experience, attorneys Patrick K. Burke and Andrea Levy have successfully represented many people who desperately needed a hardship license.

Call our Leominster office at 978-728-9446 or reach out to us online. When your job is at risk, you need to do everything possible to protect it ― so let us help.